Values & Principles
We don’t discriminate between species
We believe that ALL animals are equal and every animal in our care is worthy. We are committed to providing hope for every life. We help all types of animals and do not reject those that pose difficult or expensive challenges.
As you would expect how we approach our work is influenced by our ethos, values, and principles.
Integrity – We protect the best interests of the animals first. We believe animals have a right to live their natural lifespan and we will never put a healthy animal to sleep. We oversee this in rescue and beyond.
Excellence – This is a job worth doing and we are committed to doing it well.
Endurance – We are resolute in our pursuit of better protection and respect for animals. We have conquered over 40 years of challenges and will continue to do so.
Shared responsibility – humans are powerful and with power comes responsibility. We believe in the prevention of suffering for all animals whilst protecting the future of the planet for us all.
Compassion – We believe in compassion for all animals and people who are experiencing difficulty.
Positivity – We seek and find solutions to problems. We value those who realise every positive action counts and are committed to shining a light on them and the collective difference they make, to inspire action in others.
- We treat all admissions, including those exhibiting behavioural problems fairly, appropriately and without prejudice. No animal should be dismissed as being beyond care. We will ensure great care is taken in the suitability of each home before an animal is adopted.
- The neutering of all domestic animals must be proactively encouraged and the breeding of any animal for profit actively discouraged.
- Long-term residents that may be more difficult to re-home must be provided with appropriate, calm and stimulating accommodation that allows interaction with our staff and volunteers. For each of these animals, there must be both a short and long term plan. Re-homing is always the ultimate goal!
- Priority must be given to strays, mistreated animals and those whose owners have died or are in a state of personal crisis.
- We advocate a meat-free diet.
- We will not shy away from involvement and debate around the welfare of any species of animal.
- We acknowledge the important role that humans play in the welfare of all animals, whilst embracing diversity amongst the many people who support us. There is a place for every individual who is willing to welcome and respect diversity in others.
- We acknowledge that we aren’t perfect, that we may make mistakes and make every effort to learn from them, emerging better informed, stronger, and more determined for the experience.
Finally, perhaps some would argue most importantly.
- We are proactive and take action when an animal is sick and suffering, be that physical, mental or emotional. We will provide all necessary care and veterinary support and NEVER put a healthy animal down!